Residence permit in Poland

Residence permit in Poland

If you want to study or work in Poland, you cannot do without Karty pobytu or a residence permit.

This is a document confirming the identity of a foreigner and the legality of his stay in the Republic of Poland. In addition, it allows:

  • visit the Schengen countries and stay there for 90 days in a half year,
  • apply for visas to countries outside the Schengen area,
  • as well as purchase real estate.

To obtain a residence permit, the following conditions must be met:

have a passport, health insurance and housing in Poland,
stable source of income. and for students, financial resources for their education and maintenance,
give fingerprints.

Any of these conditions is strictly mandatory, even if you refuse to give fingerprints, your documents will simply not be accepted.
Here is the required list of documents for obtaining a residence permit:

  • Photos 4 pieces 35×45 mm.
  • Application filled in Polish. (For employees, part of the application is filled in by the employer).
  • Pay stamp duty (PLN 440 for employment, PLN 340 for other
  • At work: confirmation of the presence of a permanent and stable source of income. (Income requirements: after payment of housing rent and insurance, the minimum amount is PLN 701 for one person, and PLN 528 for families)
  • Students must prove their status as a student and the availability of funds for their education and maintenance.
  • Confirm that you have insurance.
  • Confirm the availability of housing (you can provide a rental agreement, etc.)

Your documents will be considered from 45 days to 3 months. The inspector may require additional information. If you applied on the last day of your visa, you should not worry about the legality of your stay in Poland. You will be given a stamp in your passport, which ensures the legality of residence for the entire period of registration of a residence permit. It is possible to leave only to the country of residence, but to return you will need a Polish visa.

Based on the confirmed need and time of stay in Poland, as well as the personal decision of the inspector, you will be issued a residence permit for a certain period. The maximum is 3 years. For students, it is usually given for 15 months, of course, with a subsequent extension.

If the issue was resolved positively, on the basis of decyzji you will be issued a residence card. It is made within two weeks and costs 50 PLN.

Subsequently, if you want to obtain a permanent residence permit, the length of residence in Poland will be taken into account. For students, it is reduced by 2 times, for example, if you studied for 3 years, your experience will be 1.5 years. For working experience is calculated one to one.

Taxes in Poland

Taxes in Poland


According to the Ministry of Finance, there are 13 types of taxation in the Republic of Poland, which affect citizens of the country and foreigners in different ways.

We suggest you consider the main taxes that are most interested in: PIT, VAT and CIT, bank income tax, indirect and direct taxes.


PIT (Personal Income Tax) is a tax for individuals. Each individual who makes a profit is a taxpayer and is obliged to pay personal income tax to the tax office at the place of residence. This also applies to foreigners if you live in Poland and work for more than six months in a Polish company.Depending on income, there are different tax rates – the higher the income, the higher the interest rate.For persons whose income ranges from PLN 13 thousand to PLN 85,528, there is a tax-free annual income of PLN 3,091.
So, at the rate of 18%, you pay income tax up to PLN 85,528 minus tax-free annual income.

If your income is higher, then up to 85528 you pay at the rate of 18% less tax-free annual income, and the rest at the rate of 32%.

In accordance with Polish law, you are required to report by April 30 for income received or losses incurred by filling out forms PIT-11 and PIT-37. According to the Criminal Code of the Republic of Poland, a fine is imposed for failure to file a declaration. Responsibility for the correctness of calculations and filling lies entirely with you, regardless of the level of knowledge.

You can do it yourself. But if you want to return part of the money spent, take advantage of various benefits, for example, for children, payment for Internet services, etc., and also if the calculation is complicated or difficult, we recommend using the services of a professional accountant.


VAT is the English abbreviation for Goods and Services Tax, and corresponds to Value Added Tax (VAT) in Russian-speaking countries. The standard rate is 23% and is included in the cost of goods or services. In fact, the tax is paid by the buyer, and the entrepreneur, after the sale of the product or service, returns it to the treasury. Please note that when exporting goods to the territory of the European Union, the VAT rate is 0%.
In addition to the standard rate, there are also reduced 5% and 8% for certain goods and services: publishing books, magazines, pastries, medicines, agricultural and construction sectors, etc.

All legal entities (in particular Sp. z o.o.) and individual entrepreneurs registered in Poland are required to pay this tax. But if their annual income does not exceed PLN 200,000 they are exempted from paying it.


There is a CIT tax on the income of legal entities in Poland, the standard rate of which is 19%. But for small firms, whose annual turnover was less than 1,200,000 euros, a preferential 9% rate is applied. Foreign entrepreneurs can also enjoy such benefits on the Polish market.
Please note that the 9% rate does not apply to firms that provide financial services.

Bank income tax

If you opened a bank account in Poland and decided to make money on income from bank deposits, be prepared to pay tax, for individuals it is 19%. Interest on loans, dividends are subject to the same tax.
Let us briefly dwell on other taxes. Indirect taxes, like direct taxes, are indirect taxes.

-Indirect taxes.
Rodatek pośredni applies to:
cars, gambling, lotteries, excise taxes on alcohol and cigarettes.
– Direct taxes.

  •  Рodatek bezpośredni includes:
  •   property tax
  •   inheritance tax, gift
  •   for forestry
  •   per vehicle
  •   per tonnage
  •   farming, etc.

You should be aware that various sales contracts, company formations, gifts and other types of civil law contracts are subject to civil law acts tax.

Fill out the form and get a free consultation